Tuesday 14 March 2017

Salted Chocolate Cookies

You get a bonus post this week because I just had to share this recipe!

Original recipe from taste.com.au

We can't take any food, opened or otherwise, with us to New Zealand.  That means over the next few weeks we'll be doing our best to run down and use up our pantry stocks.

The good news is that the moving company will donate any unopened food to charity.  But I keep all my baking supplies in glass jars which means it allllll needs to be used up.  This recipe enabled me to finish off the last of my superior cooking chocolate.  These cookies also happen to be delicious, and I'm a big fan of any recipe that doesn't require an electric mixer because: lazy.  I can never be bothered to drag the thing out of the cupboard.

Salted Chocolate Cookies




Ingredients
275g 70% dark chocolate, chopped (I only had 180g so I also used the last of my dark chocolate drops which added up to about 220g I think)
100g milk chocolate, chopped (I didn't use any milk chocolate because YUCK)
1 1/2 cups plain flour
3/4 cup cocoa (I always use dutch)
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar (I had none so used the last of my brown sugar and raw caster sugar)
180g salted butter
3 eggs, lightly whisked
2 tsp salt flakes

Method
Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan-forced.  Line two large baking trays with baking paper.

Melt butter and 100g dark chocolate and 50g milk chocolate (I obviously just used 150g dark) in a medium saucepan over low heat.  Set aside for 10 min to cool slightly.

Meanwhile, sift flour and cocoa into a large bowl.  Stir in sugar.  Add chocolate mixture and eggs and stir to combine.  Stir through remaining chopped chocolate.  Roll slightly heaped tablespoons of mixture into balls.  Place on the prepared tray 5cm apart.  Slightly flatten balls with fingers.  I didn't leave my chocolate mixture to cool for quite 10 min so my dough was quite loose and wet.  I didn't bother to flatten them because they spread on their own.  Bake for 11 min.  Sprinkle with salt.  I was quite cautious with the salt and you can barely taste it.  You could leave it off altogether and they would still be delicious.  Bake for another 1 min.  Cool on trays for 5 min then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Cookies will keep in an airtight container in a cool dark place for up to one week.  Trust me, they won't last that long.

Oh, nearly forgot to mention, yield is about 35 cookies.










No comments:

Post a Comment